Why should we worry about our personal hygiene?
September 23, 2016
Poor hygiene can cause sickness and disease.
Poor hygiene causes social rejection and may also lead to bullying, low confidence and low self-esteem.
What causes body odour?
Sweat doesn’t smell but the bacteria that love sweat causes the bad smell. Teenagers produce more sweat because of the hormonal changes in their bodies.
Help stop body odour by:
- Shower or bathe every day.
- Use antiperspirant/deodorant.
- Wear clean clothes (underwear, socks, shirt) every day.
Why do I get spots?
Teenagers produce more natural oils during puberty which often lead to spots. These often can’t be prevented and you may need advice or treatment from your school nurse, pharmacist or GP.
However: Wash your face every day with soap or cleanser to help remove these oils.
Can I stop my feet smelling?
Poor foot hygiene not only causes smelly feet but can cause infections like Athletes Foot.
- Wash your feet at the end of every day.
- Wear socks made from natural fibres (cotton or wool) as synthetic fibres cause the feet to sweat more.
Why’s my hair always greasy?
During the teenage years your skin produces more oil.
- You will need to wash your hair every other day.
- Brush your hair every day.
- Ask someone to check your hair for head lice and treat if necessary.
What about my teeth?
Good dental hygiene is important to keep your teeth and gums healthy and stop bad breath. A good teeth cleaning technique is important so ask advice about this.
- Clean your teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Change your toothbrush at least every 3 months
- Use floss to clean between your teeth.
- Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups www.healthmatters.clch.nhs.uk
Why is it bad to bite your nails?
Not only does it look ugly, it can damage the skin around the nail. Also, lots of germs can be found under the finger nails and so you are much more likely to get stomach upsets and other infections.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially before and after food and always after going to the toilet.
- When washing your hands, don’t forget to clean behind your nails.
- Keep nails well cut or filed.
Should girls use vaginal washes or sprays?
No! The vagina has a natural ability to remove harmful bacteria. By using these products you will interfere with this process. This can lead to infections and soreness as well as allergic reactions.
What products should I buy?
There are many products on the market and there is no need to spend a lot of money, supermarket’s own brands are fine.
In your wash bag you will need:
- Soap (or cleanser)
- Toothbrush and Fluoride toothpaste
- Nail clippers/nail file
This article was taken from www.healthmatters.clch.nhs.uk