Volunteer Police Cadets
October 31, 2016
The Wiltshire Police Volunteer Cadet scheme follows the nationally recognised Volunteer Police Cadet scheme, which is supported by forces all over the UK. It’s available to young people aged 14-17 years old.
The mission of Wiltshire Police Cadets: is to reduce youth vulnerability to crime and social exclusion through enhancing young peoples’ ability to contribute and achieve. Our motto is ‘it’s not where you’ve come from; it’s where you’re going that counts.
The scheme provides young people from all parts of society an opportunity to develop their qualities and skills through a structured programme, and enhance the relationship between the public and police.
At present we have four units: Swindon, Trowbridge, Chippenham and Salisbury.
For any information about Police Cadets including recruitment, please contact Police Sergeant Steve McGlynn: Cadets@wiltshire.pnn.police.uk
WHAT SORTS OF THINGS DO VOLUNTEER POLICE CADETS DO?
- One of the core aims of the scheme is to involve the cadets in community events and initiatives alongside our officers and members of the Special Constabulary. Cadets fhave supported a number of high-profile events this year including Solstice, WOMAD, Swindon Pride and the Emergency Services Show.
- Helping the local Community Policing Teams is another important community activity for our cadets. There are plenty of ways our young volunteers can help – for example carrying out leaflet drops, crime prevention initiatives, community safety events and street surveys.
- Of course, the safety of our cadets is paramount and that’s why we carry out a programme of training before involving them in community work. They’ll learn a variety of skills including how to use radios, carrying out first aid, using personal protective equipment, health and safety and the foundations of law. Our training programme has been accredited by the educational charity ASDAN and, once completed, could count towards UCAS points for further education – cadets can also use their new skills to work towards obtaining the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award .
- Policing is a varied profession – to give our cadets an insight of the different aspects of policing we introduce them to other operational areas such as the Dog Section, Armed Response Group and Air Support Unit.
- Teamwork is a crucial skill for our cadets – not only working alongside their fellow cadets but other members of the policing family. Practicing and perfecting the discipline of drill helps achieve this and we also intend to set up weekend team building adventures in the future.
- Our cadets also have the opportunity to meet and work alongside other cadets from forces such as Avon and Somerset, the Metropolitan Police and Devon and Cornwall Police.
Volunteer Police Cadets are currently recruiting cadet leaders to join their team, for more information please visit volunteers vacancies.